Shamrocks Ladies vs. St. Finbarrs White


Shamrocks vs. St.Finbarrs

Final Score: 3-06 to 5-06

It was midweek madness for the Shamrock ladies as their Wednesday night game against the table leaders St. Finbarrs, was set to kick off at 6.30. Mayhem on the freeway resulted in many late arrivals and the Shams had to start the game at 6.30 with just 14 players and a rushed warm up.

With all odds against the girls, who faced the team who defeated them in the championship final last year, nothing would deter their vigour and hunger for a win over the ‘Barrs’.

Shamrocks got off to a flying start after a re-jig of positions due to the absence of players, with Maria Enright breaking off from the throw-up to set Caroline (Cax) Egan up for an outstanding opening goal which would stun the opposition.

This goal was no bluff as the Shamrocks continued to show heart and determination with their 14-man team. Sharon Cassidy found her confidence as she let fly with 3 distance points in the first half and Dee McDermott was on hand to support all attacks and she herself pointed at this time also. Some phenomenal blocking and hassling between the backline and midfiled put a lot of pressure on the Finbarr’s forwards, allowing them through for just 1-02 in the first 15 minutes. At this points, the team re-grouped as stranded players arrived to the field and were put straight into action. 

Lorna McCarthy took no time at all in letting the Finbarrs defence know she had arrived as she smashed in two well-worked goals and Shamrocks led 3-04 to 1.02 with 5 minutes to go until half time. However, St. Finbarrs found their feet with just minutes to go to half time and scored another 2-02 in a short space of time as the Shamrocks girls re-grouped after the changes which took place. Half-time saw the scoreline 3-04 to 3-04 and everything was to play for.

The second half was intense and was filled with some excellent moves from both sides despite it being a relatively low-scoring half. Standards were high and one on one battles were evident all over the field. Rhea Jones provided a strong backbone in defence and Johanna Kelly pulled off 2 fantastic saves putting the opposition under a lot of pressure.  

Despite the fighting spirit across the field, Shamrocks were only able to put away 2 points in the second half, with one from captain Dee McDermott and another from left-footer Sharon Cassidy. Finbarrs found their second wind and their corner forward worked her way through to find the net two more times. St. Finbarrs finished the score line with 2 more points leaving the final result at 3-06 to 5-06.

Line-up: J.Kelly, K.McCartan, R.Jones, C.Smith, C.Mee, G.Orange, M.Enright, G.McCullagh, T.McKeogh, C.Keyes, D.McDermott, S.Cassidy, L.McCarthy, C.Egan, L.Shaughnessy, O.Nolan, L.Masterson, A.Doyle, S.Daly, Y.Gallagher, A.O’Brien.

The Shamrock girls have a lot to take from this game after a run of bad luck with injuries and absences over the past few weeks. A hard graft against the top team in the league was just what the doctor ordered as it instilled some belief and confidence back into the team. With the championship fast approaching, the Shamrocks know that they have the ability to be serious contenders for the championship and will work and build from here. 

The ladies face Coastal Breakers this Sunday at 1pm and Greenwood on Tuesday evening at 8.30pm – all support is welcomed and appreciated. Shamrocks Abu!